Main Content

To download or print this information visit our Publications and Resource Page

It's OK to complain!

Do you need advice or assistance to resolve a complaint about a disability service provider

The Disability Services Commissioner can provide an independent, free and confidential service to assist you.

We can help if it is hard for you to complain to your disability service provider or if you cannot resolve your complaint with them. Even if you are not sure you want to make a complaint, we can discuss the situation and help you to work out what you want to do about your concerns.

Making and resolving complaints can lead to better services for people with a disability in Victoria, so coming up with solutions together is good for everyone.

The Disability Act 2006 requires that all registered, funded and contracted disability service providers must have a complaints management process in place.It’s worth asking about this process to&nbsphelp you decide the best way to resolve your complaint.


What does the Disability Services Commissioner do?

The Disability Services Commissioner was established under the Disability Act 2006 to improve services for people with a disability in Victoria through assisting in the effective resolution of complaints.

We encourage and assist the resolution of complaints in a variety of ways including:

  • facilitating discussions and agreements; 

  • providing advice;

  • conciliation processes; and 

  • investigation.

We also provide information and training for people with a disability, families and disability service providers about making and successfully resolving complaints.

We are independent of

  • Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)

  • Disability Service Providers National Disability Insurance

  • Agency (NDIS) 

  • Transport Accident Commission (TAC)


Who can make a complaint?

Any person can make a complaint about disability services to us. This includes people with a disability, their families and carers, staff working in services and any other person who wishes to make a complaint.

What can a complaint be about?

A complaint can be made to us about:

  • the services a person receives; or
  • how a service provider has handled a complaint.

Accessible formats

Please contact us to obtain information in a variety of formats about our service, people’s right to make a complaint and resources for service providers.

To make a complaint

You can make a complaint to us by:

  • Telephoning 1800 677 342
  • Writing (letter or email)
  • Using the form available on our website
  • Sending a fax 03 8608 5765
  • Or by other means suitable to your circumstances

For more information contact us.

‘Speaking up is OK!’

Bottom Content

Visit our pages on social networks

  • facebook
  • twitter
  • youtube