Expand Menu Close Menu
Telephone: 1800 677 342

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Skip to section:

I’m a person with a disability

My disability makes it hard to communicate. I need help with languages, writing, calling (or other).

DSC brochures are available in a range of community languages, Braille, Plain English, Large Print and an Auslan video. You can make a complaint online, via phone, TTY, National Relay Service, Skype or in writing. We can arrange for a translator to help you make a complaint and to assist you throughout the complaints process. We can meet with you in person if you need face-to-face interaction. All of these services are free.

Can you provide me with an advocate?

As a complaints body, DSC does not offer an advocacy service. You can search for an advocacy service on the Disability Advocacy Resource Unit (DARU) website, and contact them with a request.

How will I be included?

DSC has a person-centred approach to complaints resolution. If someone has made a complaint on your behalf, we will speak with you and/or your guardian or decision-maker to gain your consent to proceed with assessment, and meet with you wherever possible. Our focus is on the person with a disability, and we seek to involve you in the process as much as possible.

Back to top

I want to make a complaint

I want to make a complaint about the NDIS. Can I call you about it?

Yes, you can call us if you have a complaint about the NDIS. We can take complaints about the provision of services by a disability service provider in Victoria, Australia. This includes disability services that are funded by the Department of Health and Human Services, the National Disability Insurance Scheme or the Transport Accident Commission. If the issue you want to talk to us about isn’t one that we have responsibility for (e.g. a complaint about the NDIA, the agency responsible for the NDIS), we can help you contact the right place and make a referral to another complaints body. Find out more about the NDIS and DSC.

What can I complain about?

We can take complaints about the services provided by a registered, funded or contracted disability service provider in Victoria, Australia. This may include accommodation, day services, respite, or more. We are also able to assess complaints about Victorian NDIS or TAC funded disability services. For more information and examples of complaints that we can handle, see Thinking about making a complaint.

How can you resolve my complaint?

All complaints are assessed by DSC Resolution Officers. Assessment includes looking into the issues raised in the complaint through reviewing documents and speaking to all those involved. Your complaint may be resolved during the assessment phase. Many complaints can be resolved through us assisting you and the service to achieve an outcome through the Four A’s:

  • Acknowledgement – how the situation has affected you and your expectations of a quality service
  • Answers – why something has or has not happened or why a decision was made
  • Actions – taken by the service provider to address the concern and then follow it up to see if the issue has been resolved
  • Apology – a genuine apology

If the complaint cannot be resolved through assessment, the complaint may be referred to conciliation or investigation. Find out more about the Complaints Process.

My complaint is about abuse or assault of a person with a disability. What will happen if I make the complaint?

All complaints to DSC, including those with allegations of abuse or assault, will be assessed. Where the Commissioner determines that the complaint is not suitable for conciliation, DSC will consider whether the matter is suitable for investigation.  Learn more about investigation.

Where it becomes evident that the complaint involves potential criminal conduct, DSC will refer the relevant aspects of that complaint to Victoria Police. We believe that people with a disability have the right to be heard, to be proactively supported, along with their family members, to participate in any investigations relating to allegations of abuse and to access the justice system.

What if you cannot resolve my complaint?

DSC will always work with you and your service provider to try to find an appropriate resolution, however sometimes a complaint may not be able to be resolved. If you’re not happy with the result of your complaint, you can always let us know.

Is the complaints process confidential?

Our complaints service is confidential. This means that we comply with Victorian privacy legislation and your details will only be used, with your consent, to facilitate the complaints resolution process.

Can I make an anonymous complaint?

Yes, you can. There are three different ways you can do this. You can:

  • let DSC know who you are but tell us not to share your identity with the service provider
  • not let DSC know who you are but provide us with contact details so we can reach you if we need more information
  • not let DSC know who you are or provide us with your contact details.

One thing to keep in mind when deciding what you want to do is that the more information we have, the more we will be able to do.

Please feel free to call us on 1800 677 342 to talk about your concerns.

Can I withdraw my complaint?

You can withdraw a complaint at any time by notifying us. If it appears that you are withdrawing a complaint due to victimisation, coercion or duress from another party, or the health, safety or welfare of the person accessing the service may be affected, s. 112 of the Disability Act 2006 allows DSC to continue dealing with a complaint.

Will it cost me anything to make a complaint?

Our services are entirely free of charge.

Is it safe to make a complaint?

The Disability Act 2006 states that it is an offence to threaten or intimidate a person who wishes to make a complaint to DSC. We will work closely with you and the service provider to ensure that you are not disadvantaged in any way. The service provider is responsible for taking steps to safeguard your right to complain. If you have any concerns about making a complaint, please talk to us.

What if the incident I want to complain about happened a long time ago?

The Disability Act 2006 allows DSC to decline to consider a complaint if it relates to an incident which occurred more than 12 months before the complaint was made. However, we encourage people to submit all complaints about Victorian disability services to us for assessment.

I’m a family member or friend of a person with a disability. Do I have to be a legal guardian to make a complaint?

Anyone can make a complaint to us about a Victorian disability service. Whether you are a person with a disability, a family member or friend of someone with a disability, a staff member, carer, or a general member of the community – you have the right to make a complaint.

Back to top

I’m a service provider

What training and information resources are available for service providers?

DSC has developed a large range of resources to help service providers through the complaints process, and to develop a positive complaints culture. These include a range of information sheets on the complaints process, and guidelines for good practice. Click here to access all DSC resources.

What are our requirements under the Disability Act 2006 in relation to complaints?

All registered, funded and contracted Victorian disability service providers must:

  1. Institute and operate a system to receive and resolve complaints about services provided
  2. Provide an annual report to DSC on complaints received including number, type and outcomes of complaints
  3. Take steps to ensure that there are no adverse effects on a person who has made a complaint to your organisation or to DSC, or a person with a disability on whose behalf a complaint was made.

Even when your service has not received any complaints in the year, you will still need to submit an annual report to DSC stating that you received no complaints in that reporting period.

Can you help us meet our legislative requirements in relation to complaints?

DSC offers a secure online complaints register and reporting tool known as the ACR Tool (Annual Complaints Reporting tool). This tool is open throughout the year, so service providers can manage all their complaints in a convenient cost-free way that is consistent with legislation.

For more information about the ACR Tool, please email acr@odsc.vic.gov.au or click here.

I need a password for the ACR Tool.

  • If you have never logged on to the ACR tool before, someone from your organisation who has access can log on and add you as a user.
  • If staff have moved on and no one at your organisation has been given access, please email ORIMA (Tommy.Chau@orima.com) and they will provide you with a log-in and temporary password.
  • If you’ve forgotten your password, it can be reset on the system.

For more information about the ACR Tool, please email acr@odsc.vic.gov.au or click here.

Back to top

About DSC

What legislative frameworks does DSC work under?

DSC was established in 2007 under the Disability Act 2006 (the Act). The functions and powers of the Commissioner are detailed in the Act and can be found on this page. We also make specific reference to the following Acts in our annual reports:

  • Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014
  • Freedom of Information Act 1982
  • Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006
  • Protected Disclosure Act 2012

What values and principles does DSC work under?

DSC is committed to the values of Rights, Respect and Fairness. We work under the principles of being Accessible, Person Centred, Responsive, Accountable and a commitment to Excellence. We are committed to being a child safe organisation, prioritising the well-being of children and adults with a disability, including those from a CALD, and Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background. Find out more on Our Approach.

I want to give some feedback about DSC.

If you want to give feedback about any part of the DSC complaints resolution process, we want to know about it. You can send feedback to DSC on this page.

Back to top


Level 20, 570 Bourke Street,

Melbourne, Victoria, 3000 Australia

Call for enquiries or complaints - 1800 677 342

Email for enquiries or complaints - complaints@odsc.vic.gov.au